Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Cream Stouts But No Suck Outs

Cream Stouts But No Suck Outs

I ended up playing in an impromptu home game last night, which worked out well. The usual suspects were emailing back and forth yesterday trying to set a plan and as far as I knew we were going to play Friday at my house. I got home and was making dinner plans with wifey when I received a phone call from one of the playas noting that everyone decided they wanted to play last night instead. One of the guys had agreed to host which was fine by me. I got clearance from wifey and the chitlins and was off to the game.

One of my favorite parts of the home game is stopping off at the grocery store for a beer run. This is how I load up on brews as well as pull money out of the bank account without having to hit up the ATM. I've been on a Budweiser Select kick lately as it tastes damn good and is cheap, but with the cold weather I was feeling a darker beer would do the trick. I chose the Samuel Adams Cream Stout as it is one of my favorite beers, but I haven't had any in quite a while. Damn good beer.

We had a new guy at the tables, also a Jason, and though he made the typical rookie mistakes, he was not too shabby. I'm happy to report he won the first game which I think is always a good thing for a rookie. There is a very good chance we'll see him back since he got a taste of the goods. I ended up helping him on his way to 1st place in the first game after getting waxed by him in a pot.

About 10 hands into the game I wake up with AcQc and pop it pre flop. Only newbie calls. The flop comes A Q Xc. I make a pot size bet and get called. Turn is a blank and I make another bet and get another call. River is another blank and I make a final hefty bet and he calls flipping over Q Q. That one crippled me, but didn't put me out.

Looking back on the hand I don't think I made a mistake, but after the hand I was a bit vexed. Typically, at least in my experience, when you have a good hand and are being called by a newbie they are either chasing or overplaying middle or low pair. That's why I was surprised when he flipped over a set. In this case, he underplayed his hand, thankfully.

After making a rally to get back above the starting stack I ended up getting bounced when the blinds started getting hefty and I couldn't get anything going. I was the first out. I had AA twice in that game and though I won both hands, I didn't capitalize in the long run.

The second game I ended up knocking the newbie out early to double my stack. Much to the chagrin of the other cast of characters, I played table captain with my newfound chips. I rolled over the table and when it got heads up I took it down in less than 5 hands. I showed the hammer once which was nice.

All in all it was a strange night because there were not any real suck outs. When there was a race, the person with the better hand won. The closest thing to a suck out was a few pots that were split when the board paired and a weak Ace hand ended up getting back some chips. Our games are usually full of suck outs, so that was something new for us.


Some random non pokery stuff to throw out there. Not something I usually do, but I'm in the mood. I am being reviewed by my boss in just a little while which should be fun. Yesterday when setting up the time to meet he asked, "How long do you think it will take?" That one confused the shit out of me. Umm, hello, aren't you the one reviewing me? I said I wasn't sure and he said it shouldn't take long at all. I'll take that as a good sign. We'll see.

As if the review wasn't enough, I am being interviewed by the FBI in the office this afternoon to go over a criminal case against a former employee who is being sued by former clients of ours. Most of the monetary issues are done after SEC/NASD arbitrations, but now the FBI wants a crack at this guy too. Since I was a manager in the office at the time he was employed they want to discuss with me the nature of his employment. Oh joy.

I'm being courted by another financial services firm and, though I'm happy where I am and have no plans to go elsewhere, it is kind of nice to know that another company is actively recruiting me. Apparently someone I used to work with is now at that firm and highly recommended me to his managers. I've already met with one of the higher ups and things went very well so we'll see where that goes. If it is a nice salary bump and things fall into place, I could see making a move, but for now I'm comfortable where I am. I should no more pretty soon.

On the home front, wifey is going through some tough times and is battling a bit of the depression bug. She is also trying to quit smoking which isn't exactly an easy task. She's a trooper, but everyone has their downtimes. I know she occasionally reads this here blog so if you are reading this honey, I love you and am here for you if you need me.


Well that will have to do it for today. It looks like I'll be hosting a home game tomorrow so that should be fun. Thanks for reading!

posted by TripJax @ 9:58 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home