Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Gambooling, Capital Knockers & The Hammer

Gambooling, Capital Knockers & The Hammer

A few days ago I mentioned a buddy of mine who runs a game in my hometown. We have worked together for the last 6 years, but he recently moved to a new firm so I don't see him as often as I used to. I bring him up again as I plan to use him as an example in this post. I have a couple of nicknames for him, The Asian Equation and Ruckbox, but for today's post I'll keep it simple and refer to him as Ruckbox.

Ruckbox is a gambooler. He takes chances and goes beyond the comfort level of the average person (read: me). As an example, this past weekend he deposited $500 of recent cash game earnings onto PartyPoker to play some NL Hold'em. In one night he ran that up to $7,500, but that just wasn't enough. "I took a break and then decided I would keep playing until I hit $10,000." It wasn't enough to make $7,000 in one night! From there he donked off $4,000 and ended the night with $3,500. Still a huge profit for one night, but a downer after being at 7.5k.

That got me thinking about how different Ruckbox and I truly are. Good friends and poker players, but immensely different people. What is it about him that makes him play high stakes BlackJack and gambool at the poker table for an attempt at 10k in one night? What triggers his brain to shoot out of the cannonball with nary a safety net in sight. All I know is he has something I don't have, an extreme desire to gambool.

Now don't get me wrong, I have the desire to make huge money playing poker, but I don't take the same path as he. I'm happy to find what works for me and grind a profit over time. I'm happy to occasionally take a chance at a nice payout with a freeze out MTT. I'm happy to make money without risking too much of my own capital. In other words, I have no gambool.

There are notable distinctions in our lifestyles that give some insight into possible reasons for our differences. I am a family man with a mortgage on a single income budget. He is single with income not only from his job, but the cash games. He's got the cash to gambool, but not so much that he could afford an extended downswing. He could seemingly sit on his cash game rake and never worry about money, but he still has the gambool in him to risk it on his games of choice.

I don't want to come across as knocking him in anyway, I just wanted to use him as an illustration of the gambool that some folks have. He is a friggin' Ruckbox though. Dude always catches cards.
******************************
I played some poker last night and for the most part it was uneventful. I took second in a PLO8 SNG then bubbled in a SNG with GCox. At the bubble I was in a battle of the shortstacks with another guy who was even with me in chips. In the big blind with A5 suited I pushed and was called by a big stack with KK. No cards for your truly and the bubble was my call for sleep.

Before the SNG's I played a ring game at Hollywood as I'm trying to clear a bonus. I'm about halfway to my goal and currently down about $5 from my deposit. The tables were pretty full, but I finally found one with a seat available. At Hollywood you don't get to choose your avatar so where ever you sit is the avatar you get.
Check me out. I had to take a pic of some boobies and hammer action. I was down about $15 for the session and found the hammer UTG +1. I raised it up and everyone folded. I, of course, showed it down. I started to get a lot of action from there and luckily I hit some big hands. I ended up for the night and I owe it all to my capital knockers and the hammerific showdown. Thank you Poker Grub!
******************************
I'll be back to post next week. In the meantime, everyone have a great weekend as well as a great MLK Day.

posted by TripJax @ 11:10 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home