Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters

First off, some poker content, since this is still a poker blog.

I almost played online poker last night.  It was almost awesome.

Moving on...





I did manage to watch some poker on TV - the WPT Championship to be exact - and though it was a damn good show, it was not my favorite viewing of the night.  Before I fired up the WPT, I watched a documentary called The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters.    I'll go ahead and gank the plot synopsis from the IMDB page I just linked, 'cause it pretty much sums it up.


Diehard video game fans compete to break World Records on classic arcade games.


If you haven't seen this movie, I think you should check it out;  Doubly so if you are an avid gamer or a poker player, as I suspect you just might be if you are reading this blog.  The movie focuses on two people, Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe.  Billy is a long time video game geek who has held world records for numerous video games, with Donkey Kong being his true claim to fame.  To classic arcade video gamers, he is the shizzle.  Steve Wiebe, on the other hand, is a down on his luck average joe who decides he wants to try and finally be the best at something after years of FAIL


I won't go any deeper into the movie as I would rather you just watch it than read about it here.  All I can say is just check it out if you are looking for something to fill up an hour and a half.  It's a documentary, so don't expect it to knock your socks off, but I think you'll enjoy it nonetheless.  


I don't play many video games these days, but I grew up playing them all the time.  I was a Nintendo kid and, before that, I was always near an arcade.  My Dad owned a bowling alley with an arcade for a while when I was a child and having an arcade to play free games whenever I wanted was like crack for me.  I pretty much pwned Frogger.  I also loved me some Joust.

I may have to go buy the classic Donkey Kong game now.  Damn you King Of Kong!

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 10:09 AM,

3 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger cmitch said...

Sounds interesting. I may have to go check it out. I also grew up on Pac-man, Donkey Kong, Joust, Dig Dug, etc. I even purchased a Ms. Pac-man cocktail table game for the house a few years ago.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually caught this randomly earlier this year - and yes, its totally a lot of fun. There are some strange sub-cultures out there...

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

wth? dad didn't have elevator action or dig dug?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home