Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Nano Brew

First off, allow me to catch you all up on the dealio at the moment,
since I've been sending dumbass posts this week. I'm on vacation at
North Myrtle Beach, SC. If you need a quick refresher, just scroll
down (unless you are on RSS reader).

It's been an interesting trip. We normally just go with the kids, but
this year we decided to go with ChickJax's family - specifically her
sister/husband and her Mom/husband. We signed the contract for the
beach condo and 2 days later the accident happened (not sure how to
link via iPhone, but the accident in question was ChickJax's Mom and
husband nearly dying in a motorcycle accident, which I chronicled a
while back).

A few months later and here we are, with an entirely different
vacation landscape. Pawpaw, as he is called, didn't even come as he is
struggling with his injuries. Ninny, as she is called, made it, but is
wheelchair bound. It's been interesting making that work, but we've
all come together and are having a good time. This is definitely a
lesson in how good you have it and how quickly things can change in a
heartbeat.

Now on to other things. In my Wish You Were Beer post from a few days
ago, I caught some heat from Chipper Dave. You would think I was
catchin' the bitness for cold calling with the nuts when my opponent
clearly caught second best, but that was not the case. I was
catching heat for drinking a macrobrew instead of a local microbrew.

Now first off, allow me to set a few things straight. In no way am I
giving Chipper a hard time, but I must clear the air. I loves me some
microbrew. I'm lucky enough to live in a city that, to the best of my
knowledge, has at least two breweries. And those breweries are
excellent.

As it turns out, from what I have found, North Myrtle Beach - or to be
more specific, the places I have been - are not exactly microbrew happy.

As an example, let's take the post in question. We were having a nice
family dinner at a local Mom & Pop fish fry; not exactly a champion of
fine beers, if you will. Given the choices, which were macro from top
to bottom, I went with Bud Lite Lime.

When it comes to macrobrews, I've always taken a liking to Bud. My
Brother In Law works for them and I've always enjoyed their beers. I
went on the tour in St. Louis last year and was pretty much blown
away. When Bud Lite Lime came out, I thought it put Miller Chill to
shame.

Let me get back on focus here, for my thumbs are getting tired
(posting from a phone is pretty tiring). When I read the comment from
Chipper about the local beers, I knew there wasn't much I could do,
but damn if I wasn't up for a challenge. Unfortunately I'm on a family
vacation, so it wasn't like I could bar hop until I found the
microbeer Mecca.

I did manage to hit another local bar hoping to partake in some fresh
beerage, but was swiftly denied. "Do you have anything on tap," I
inquired? "We got Bud, Miller, Coors, Corona and Heineken." Nice. Way
to go all out. But that's what it is like around here. Great beaches,
but not much for beer selection.

Which brings me to the picture in this post. After that last bar
episode I rushed to the closest grocery store to check out their
selection. The only beer worth speaking about that wasn't a complete
macro was Flying Dog.

If you haven't tried Flying Dog yet, you have to give it a whirl. We
came across this beer in a not so round about way. We were partying at
ChickJax's sisters house one night and started talking with her
neighbor. He was a brewer and had come to Greensboro to work for one
of our local breweries, Red Oak. He was advised that he would no
longer have a job and ended up having to look elsewhere.

Turns out that party would be his last in Greensboro, as he soon moved
to Colorado to work for Flying Dog. We had never heard of the company,
but were immediately intrigued.

ChickJax is very picky when it comes to beer, but she now loves her
some Flying Dog. And I must admit, I really dig it too. With that, I
offer the best I could do for a microbrew in North Myrtle Beach, SC. A
bottled beer from Colorado - an immediate neighbor of South Carolina!

Peace out beaches.

The title is, I hope, now obvious. Nano brew as in I can't find any.
Someone who is a local or a regular, please set me straight on where
to go at this beach for good beer.

posted by TripJax @ 11:09 PM,

5 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colorado Micro Brews FTW!

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If TripJax likes it then so do I. I need to go find it now...but it is now my favorite beer.

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Stuff. They sold out on us though and moved to Maryland, Bastards!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Dave said...

OK good. Flying Dog is a much more flavorful choice. It's just part of my mantra to get people to look beyond the macro beers and try new things. If you liked their Wheat beer then you might like their Gonzo Imperial Porter. It's sad that Flying Dog moved their brewery out of Colorado last year, but they still have offices out here.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger LuckTruck said...

that is correct... Frederick Maryland is the new home of Flying Dog. Now much closer to me in Philly... only time I got to Denver was for Great American Beer Festival in 04 and 05... toured Flying Dog both times. Good choice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home