Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Non-Pokery

For starters, don't forget about the Mookie tonight. I expect attendance will be down with the holidays upon us, but for those able to make it, be sure and sling chips with your fellow brog brethren. Unfortunately, I will most likely not be able to make it this week.

As I sit here at work with no desire to work, strangely I have the urge to write about...work. Maybe this is just my way of feeling like I'm still doing work when I'm not. Now this is not one of those rants that I read (and rather enjoy) every so often from the likes of
Scurvy and Bracelet. Fellas, your misery makes me laugh. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just love the way you manage to turn workplace angst into a hilarious post.

But let's get back to me, shall we? I work in a pretty cutthroat business. I think the
Good Doctor would have to agree having experienced this business first hand years ago. Specifically, I'm in the financial services industry. At the end of the day, it all boils down to the mighty, mighty dollar. From the Financial Advisor (FA) trainee who starts day one, to the FA who has been in the business 20 years, it can be unmerciful.

Take the average FA trainee I just mentioned. We hire trainees we believe can make it in the business long term, thus being a boon to the firm. They come in and study their asses off for the
Series 7 Exam. Our firm gives them approximately 3 months to study and navigate their way through the training courses. Day in and day out they study for the exam. Their job for those months is solely a preperation to take the test.

On the day of their exam, generally tension is high as they are hoping (and often praying) that they pass the exam. You see, after 3+ months of working and preparing to take the test that is hopefully the beginning of a nice career, if they don't pass the test, they're fired. It is rather embarrassing for everyone involved when a trainee doesn't pass the test.

They end up coming back into the office sulking about their bad luck and I inevitably have to console them. It is the equivalent of listening to a bad beat story. All the while, as they are speaking, I'm figuring out the best way to advise them that they'll need to hand over their office key and hit the road jack. If they don't pass the test, that day ends up being their last day. Cut throat baby, but that's just the way it is. It's not my policy, but it is pretty much standard with most firms. We have a trainee taking their Series 7 today. I wonder if this afternoon they will be raking in a nice pot, or if I'll be listening to another bad beat story.

It doesn't really get any nicer for the established FA's either. When an FA leaves to go to another firm, it is not like your typical job switch. There is no "goodbye cake" and no party at the end of the day. Usually the FA comes in to the Branch Managers office at 4pm on Friday, slaps down his/her resignation on the desk, and walks out the door. From there usually the litigation begins as the two firms battle it out over this, that, and the other. Inevitably, there is always something to dispute.

All the above duly noted, while the business in general can be cutthroat and hectic, I must admit that I truly do enjoy my job. I work with some great people and have learned a ton in the last 8 years. I am lucky to work for a great firm that has their ducks in a row. This industry is the most highly regulated in the land so each day brings with it a new experience. Realizing that we are here to help people is what brings me back each day. Well, that and the paycheck.

I'm not sure really where this post was heading and where it went, but oh well. I don't usually discuss work at this here brog, but I didn't have much to write about so I went with it. With the holidays upon us, I may not be able to post again to next week.


Until then, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 12:08 PM,

6 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe you mean "Usually the FA comes in to the Branch Managers office at 4pm on Friday, slaps down his/her resignation on the desk, and walks out the door.

I am in the biz as well. Did years in sales, trading, and compliance. Still love it.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

You are right...d'oh!...not sure what I was thinking when I was writing that...

...fixing it now.

Thanks man...

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Thanks for the props on my mad crazy anger-writing skillz.

In my industry we have tests to pass and dedicated study time, but as long as you have a few IQ points on Level Retard there is no reason you shouldn't pass. You may not impress your managers and trainers, but most companies aren't trying to make you fail.

I always test above average because that's just how I roll.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

And yet you manage to maintain a fairly sunny attitude.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

In my 20's used to work for a boutique financial planning company now part of Goldman Sachs. I took the 7 with ten coworkers most of half of whom where lawyers and had managed to pass the bar. I was the only one who passed the first time. Fortunately our job security didnt depend on passing it. But I do remember the frustrated looks of the traders and broker trainees from other firms at the end of the morning session the day we took the exam.

Cutthroat business if you can make it.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger run 'em twice said...

THREE MONTHS?? anybody fails it after that amount of time belongs at Burger King...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home