Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Stand Up

Earlier this morning I wrote an email to a friend who is going through a tough time in her life. I won't go into details, but needless to say, she's got her plate full with marital and financial difficulties. She is a very strong person so I know she will pull herself through.

In the email I wrote a sentence that I kept re-reading. It's one of those lines you are proud of writing, but are sure it has been expressed in some form or fashion in the annals of time (queue the comments letting me know as such). It took about 3.2 seconds for my brain to question whether the sentence could have broad expanse – especially as it relates to poker. My thoughts tend to wander off into "pokerland" rather easily.

So here it is...

The true character of an individual is measured not by the number of times they fall down, but the number of times they rise up.


Poker is a game built on probabilities and percentages. Unless the percentrage is 100, then anything can happen. At times, our opponents are rewarded for their incorrect decisions, at our cost. If you are playing a strong game, the law of averages will inevitably iron out, but that doesn't make the road to "one long session" any easier. There will be road blocks throughout and you will be knocked down more than your fair share. What matters is that you stand back up, dust yourself off and get back in the game.

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 12:31 PM,

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true. Even though it may get bad with bad beats, suck-outs of whatever the case maybe, we we keep grinding than we wil succeed. So far, that is my biggest problem. I cannot just let go and move on, and that is why I am constantly trying to improve myself. Even in the grand scheme of things, poker is just another passion, and there are always bigger and better things out there.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Good post Trip.I've come to appreciate that being mentally strong is just as important as being skillful at the tables.

I think that's especially relevant online with the incredible number of suckouts due to poor players and the volume of hands played.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger jjok said...

very nice man, very nice

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Hey!

I really like that quote. Your a good writer and I can definitey apply that sentiment to my life today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home