Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



DADI D'OH!

Many, many years ago, when I was probably around 10 years old, I recall getting a kick ass Christmas present. It was a robotic hand that looked real and would make certain movements via remote control. One day a few of my buddies and I concocted this *brilliant* idea that we would create a scene where it looked like one of us wrecked our bikes into a ditch full of thick weeds and brush.

We built a dummy out of clothes and pillows, stuck the hand in the shirt, and put ketchup on it to look like blood. We set the scene where the arm and hand were sticking out of the brush and the bike was all torn up. As people drove or walked by, we had someone make growning noises and made the robotic hand move around. We sat back and waited for hilarity to ensue. The ditch was near the entrance of the apartment complex we lived in so plenty of people would see it, realize the joke, and laugh uncontrollably along with us.

Erm, not so much.

You see, we were kids and weren't hard wired to think things through before we act. We thought what we were doing was hilarious, and it was to us, but to anyone else seeing the situation, it was horrible and very unnerving. I learned a lesson that day that has stuck with me a long time. Just because you think something is funny does not mean everyone else will. Sometimes, even as adults, we forget our lessons.



Last night was a perfect example of a fun prank that turned into a questionable act to some. G, J, and I absolutely, 100%, had no alterior motives or questionable intentions. We meant it to be a fun ending to a tourney series we've worked hard to bring to the table for the poker blogging community. For those that don't know, here is what happened.

Yesterday, as G, J and I were discussing the DADI tournaments coming to an end with DADI X, we got a crazy idea to play as if we were the other person. Then that lead to the idea of just playing each others account. GCox would assume the role of TripJax, TripJax would become Jordan, and Jordan would become GCox. Still with me on this? The plan was to have a good time with it, chat as much like the person as possible, and just be idiots.

In that moment, we were 10 year olds playing a prank that everyone was going to think was hilarious. We would all laugh about it in the end and everyone would do a virtual high five as DADI rode off into the sun.

Early on things were looking good for this to be a wacky hoax. GCox, playing as TripJax, was the 1st one knocked out of the tournament. It was awesome. Even when I'm not me, I suck. Not too long after, I, playing as Jordan, went out around 30th place. Things were shaping up to be able to out ourselves in fun fashion. Then an interesting thing happened. Jordan, as GCox, went on a heater. Not only did he go on a heater, but he won the thing. In that moment, I never thought that anyone would have an issue. My 10 year old self was in full effect, totally oblivious to what others might think about the situation.



Please let me set the record straight right here and now. There was absolutely no malice meant in any of this. We thought with it being a private tournament amongst blogger friends that it would not only be a great time while we were playing, but a great story to tell after the fact. We also thought it would be interesting to see what it was like to be in someone elses shoes during a tourney. We tried to chat like we were that person and, in essence, become that person.

To anyone who feels wronged by our actions, I sincerely apologize. I would be more than happy to discuss the situation with anyone in private, either via email or phone. Please know we did not share cards and we did not discuss hands while in the tournament together.

I'm sorry a fun prank turned into more than was meant to be. I'm also sorry Jordan won, cause damnit, I am so much better than him.

posted by TripJax @ 10:21 AM,

18 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Klopzi said...

I find both pranks quite funny.

It's better when people get unnerved or pissed off!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger CC said...

You are evil little boys...

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I commented to Jordan, I did play differently because of it, but do not blame it for my bubble finish.

Nice run of tourneys guys, see ya in Vegas :)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

Drizz,
Thanks for letting me know that. I hate the way it turned out, especially considering there were no bad intentions.

We should be congratulating Iak on a final table in a huge tourney, but instead this situation is in the way.

I hate it happened, but I'm ready to move on.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

As I commented to Jordan in his blog, I think the big problem is the cost of the tournament. Some people spent a decent amount of money, time, and effort getting a token to play in DADI X. If you guys had publicly stated, "Guess who is who" or whatever, then I think a lot of people would have loved the gag.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Wolf has a great point. Next time we come up with a wacky idea, we need to run it through him first. It would've been much better if we went with a Guess Who format.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I agree Wolf. Like I mentioned in Jordan's post, "hindsight is shitty, shitty."

Thanks for your comment though. Having spent time with you at the Bash, I know you know there was no bad intentions meant.

I'm ready for this to move the fuck on, but I do want people to comment if they have an opinion.

Thanks all!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger lucko said...

I think one of you should have come out of the closet as the other person last night.

That is what I would have done. So I guess lesson #2 is, don't give me access to your account.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Live and learn. It was not a good thing to do but not the end of the world. Oh yeah, and nothing can take away from Icks awesome final table finish baby! NOTHING!

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is complete and utter bullshit! I am contacting FTP to have all of your accounts shut down immediately!!!

Oh wait, I didn't play in last nights DADI.

nevermind.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple solution, Have another one. I wanted to play one anyway :D

God it's weird sharing a name. Everywhere I look someone's yelling at Jordan, but not me.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger slb159 said...

No worries Jax, just disagreeing with your move. Yes, it definetly was without intended malice since we're all brothahs and sistahs in the blogging community, but just expressing my feelings.

Best of luck and see you at the tables.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Thanks SLB. I just had to vent for a moment, and since you are not one to hold back on your own thoughts, I knew I could send some your way and it would not stick.

You bastardo!

See you at the tables.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

I think that shit's pretty funny actually.

If anything it points out that the adage "play the player not the cards" specifically means respond to the action you perceive in front of you and not some bottled up idea of who you think this guy is.

Wolf's idea would have been excellent, but seriously - I loved DADI while he/she was with us, and I think you don't need to sweat it brotha - we're all cool like that.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iak,

U SIR, are the cool one right now. It's ghey to be proud of another brogger, but you sir, I am proud of right now.

Kudos fucker.

TripJax

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

I have never seen GCox play so well. It all makes sense to me now, but it was Jordan????

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can see why others might be upset, but I thought it was really funny. I kept yahooing Gary and told him to keep it up. And I also remember thinking, "Wow, he's playing way more aggressive than I thought," and that gave me hope because a fellow rock could be that aggressively.
So thanks for dashing that hope across the sidewalk.
:)

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Love_elf said...

Thanks for hosting the tourney.
Don't sweat the switching thing - it will blow over. It makes a big difference that you have appologized.

Having another one is a great idea though. This was my first one, and it was a blast, like all of the blogger tournies. I'm sad that it may have also been my last.

You could call it DADI Re-Do X.1: Repent of the Sinners

 

Post a Comment

<< Home