Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Big Pot Go Bye-Bye

A buddy of mine called me around lunch time this past Friday asking if I would be interested in playing at a cash game a mutual friend was hosting. By mutual friend I mean a casual acquaintance we both know through poker. This host and I used to deal at the same game back when I first started playing poker. As the game progressed and the limits grew, I eventually became uncomfortable with the chances the game would get busted, so I quit playing and dealing all together. Though I missed the unbelievable action as well as the guaranteed money from dealing, I sleep much better at night. This guy on the other hand, saw the money to be made by running the game instead of simply dealing. It wasn't long before he had started a game in his neck of the woods.

After discussing with ChickJax if we had plans - she's still sick and the kids were away for the weekend, so I knew she'd just be sleeping on the couch all night - I got the green light on some pokery action. By 7:30 pm we were tossing some cards. It was indeed a rare cash game opportunity for me. The game was 5/10 NL with an orbit of Omaha Hi tossed in after every two orbits of Hold'em. This was the largest stakes I have ever played, but I felt very comfortable at the table. There was no max buy-in that I recall, however I don't remember anyone buying in for more than $1000. The average buy-in was $500 with the smallest buy-in I can recall being $200.

I don't remember too much about specifics of hands, though I do recall there were some big ones. My buddy was stacked with his KK vs. AA on the 5th hand of the night. The guy who stacked him was on fire the whole time I was there and, by the time I was leaving, had close to $3000 in front. My buddy eventually recovered, finishing the night up nearly $600. I, on the other hand, had a yo-yo night. At my peak, I was up nearly $600, however I eventually busted after some tough hands.

I did lose the biggest pot of my life, which ultimately set the tone for how things were going to go for me on the night. The pot was just under $1,400. It was a tough pot to see shipped elsewhere, but I sucked it up and moved on rather quickly. In fact, I didn't even realize the size of the pot until I was reflecting on the night on the drive home. As bad as it feels to lose a pot that size, it feels pretty damn good to realize my emotions stayed in check and I just moved on to the next hand. I've got a ways to go with my cash game, but Friday night was a step in the right direction.

After the game, I heard about a $50 tournament every Wednesday that I just might have to play whenever possible. It is a tournament I used to play a few years back when it was a $20 buy-in and apparently they've just recently started back. I'm thinking maybe every other week I may have to get there. I can't miss the Mookie every week ya know!

Until next time, may the felt be with you .

posted by TripJax @ 11:26 AM,

2 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

sounds like for 5/10 NL people were buying in real short. I bet that led to pretty tight play.

one aspect of live poker that I kind of like is not seeing the total pot size when you lose....

it's good to see someone moving up in limits. we can't all play for pennies, right?

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the legislation which aims to ban credit cards as a payment method for online gambling of any sort... and i think it should be enforced worldwide – not just in America. In fact, gambling with a credit card should be banned full stop. Not just on the internet. It’s a no brainer when you consider you are backing the outcome of an uncertain event with somebody else’s money. Chance and credit do not mix well in my opinion, and continuing to allow it would only contribute further in negatively affecting the high levels of personal debt many citizens today find themselves in. I do however, think that the prohibition won't work; or at least it won’t be received well amongst gamblers - I mean what’s the point in banning a credit card payments made on an online poker game, for example, but not on other kinds online sports betting? Slightly hypocritical, you not think? I mean how can you allow someone to participate [with or without a credit card] in horse racing betting on the internet, but not put any money on a hand when they play texas holdem poker online? Both activities involve a large degree of chance, and neither promise to yield financial return. What really infuriates me is that the minority of irresponsible gamblers [those paying with someone elses money!] have now ruined the fun of online betting for everyone else - those like me who pay with money they actually have in their bank!! At least for the Americans there is always the free online poker games!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home