Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Steely Damn

You may have noticed over the last few months that I have not been all giddy at this here brog about the upcoming brogger event. I've avoided writing anything about it here because I won't be able to make the jaunt to Vegas this time around. This is a pretty busy month for us, so it always ends up being difficult to plan any get-a-ways in December.

This weekend happens to be KidJax's birthday party, which is just one of the numerous reasons for staying home. We are having the party at the
Natural Science Center because he loves that place. He's sort of a Dinosaur freak, so it makes sense for us to do it there. We bought him a bunk bed and he will absolutely bug out when he sees it. We are going to put it together while he is out of the house, so when he comes home it will be a complete surprise. I can't wait to see the look on his face.

The look on my face when buying the bunk bed was sweet as well. From renting out the space for his birthday, to every gift we've bought, I've kept a constant grin on my face. Everything has been paid for by poker winnings or bonuses. I just love when I'm able to do things like that because of this little poker hobby. Suh-weeet.



The following was a conversation we had while partying at a friends house this weekend...

Buddy #1: Looks like the music stopped. I'm going to put in another CD.
Me: Keep it up beat so we don't fall asleep.
Buddy #1: (After shuffling through a ton of CD's) The only name I recognized was Steely Dan, so we'll go with that.
Buddy #2: (After listening to the first few songs) Damn man, this shit is like Nyquil on CD. Side effects may include drowsiness and nausea.
Me: (In my best subdued TV pharmaceutical ad voice) Ask your Doctor if Steely Dan is right for you.


Stories are never as funny as they are in the moment, but we laughed about that one for a while, so I figured I would memorialize it here.



Another quick story while I'm at it. Thanksgiving night in Greensboro is usually a great night to go out on the town. Old friends are usually in town visiting family, but ready to get out of the house at night. This makes for prime partyin'. On Thanksgiving night we decided to have folks over at our house for more food and plenty of drinks.

With numerous families involved, there were some kids in tow, but they were keeping busy playing in KidJax's room. Eventually, everyone decided we should go out to the bars. I offered to call it a night and stay home with the kids so everyone else could go out. ChickJax, however, was adamant about me going out since most of our visitors were my high school buddies. In the end, ChickJax and one of her/our best friends stayed home with the kids. To protect the innocent, we'll just call our friend Allison.

Not long after, we hit out favorite watering hole, The Speak Easy Tavern. We had been there for a couple of hours, getting lit, when one of my buddies came over to me. "Dude, your wife just called and they are coming to the bar. She said something about bringing the baby monitor." Lit up or not I, of course, went into Daddy mode. WTF were they thinking??!! They couldn't be serious right? I tried to call my wife, but was getting no answer. I was still a little bit out of it from the booze, but was quickly sobering up.

After a few minutes of thinking the situation over, I decided to go to the bathroom, then give ChickJax another call. This would give me a moment to reflect. As I was walking through the bar towards the bathroom, I see ChickJax and Allison walking towards me from the front entrance. Allison, while entering the bar, pulled the baby monitor out of her purse and yelled, "Does anyone know where I can plug this baby monitor in?"

They proceed to walk over to me and the following conversation ensued:

Me: What the fuck?
ChickJax: We've got a problem, the batteries just died in the baby monitor.
Me: Um, yeah, that's not the problem here ladies.
Allison: Don't worry, we left (Allison's Daughter's Name) in charge. I know she is only 6, but she is really smart and can handle things. She is in advanced kindergarten class, so she can handle it.

Me: Ya'll better be fucking kidding. I'm going home.
ChickJax/Allison: (After a moment of keeping me on edge) "BUSTED!"


So in the end it was all just a joke. We all got a kick out of it, but damn I really was busted (I think the kids these days call it "punked"). I knew better than to think ChickJax or Allison would ever do anything like that. They are both incredible Moms and the whole scenario just didn't add up. As the story eventually unfolded, I finally got to hear what happened. My Sister-In-Law had been at our house earlier in the night while we were all still there, but had eventually gone to her boyfriend's house and let her son stay with all the kids to play since we were taking care of them.

After we had gone to the bars, she eventually came back to the house to hang out with ChickJax and Allison. While sitting around the house, ChickJax and Allison had been jokingly hatching their little baby monitor scheme, but never expected to have the chance to use it. When my Sister-In-Law showed up, she said she would watch the kids so that they could go to the bar and play their little prank.

The funniest part about it all is my Sister-In-Law is a social worker and has to deal with child endangerment cases all the time. Having to deal with real life issues all the time, she finally happy to help her Brother-In-Law get "punked" in this fashion.


ChickJax, Allison and Sister-In-Law are on my shit list. I can't wait to get them back somehow.

posted by TripJax @ 2:53 PM,

8 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Busted indeed! Nice one Chickjax :-)

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I never got busted when my kids were young. Would have been hell to pay.

As for your Steely Dan comment, ya, if you played either the Aja or Gaucho CD then it's mello time for sure. Gotta play some of their earlier stuff and that will keep you Jacked for more.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent story - as a father of two little ones, I can totally relate. Thankfully, my wife refrains from those kinds of jokes... she much prefers to hide in among the clothes hanging up in the closet and jump out at me when I least expect it.

Good times.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ChickJax, Allison and Sister-In-Law are on my shit list. I can't wait to get them back somehow.

Hell hath no fury. Let it go, Indy. Let it go.


Best,
Mr. Parx

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want me to yahoo her one night and pose as a naked chick who wants to talk dirty with you?




I LIKE Steely Dan. One of my favorite groups of all time.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Oh I like some of their stuff too. It was just that those particular songs were not the up beat tunes we were looking for.

I love the "Nyquil on CD" concept. Genius.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Quality prank! Well done!

If you want someone to help you figure out a way to get them back, I'm available.

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally see how the Steely Dan conversation was hilarious. Reminds me of many similar conversations I have with my own buddies.

You got mega-burned by the ladies. I hope she knows that payback is a biatch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home