Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Rounders & Hobex

On a recent trip to Target, I was perusing the DVD aisle and couldn't help but jump at the chance to buy a 2-Movie Collection including Rounders and Swingers for $10. Though I've seen Swingers plenty of times over the last 10 years, I probably haven't seen Rounders since it first came out on video back in the 90's. I actually had Rounders/Swingers in one hand and Pan's Labyrinth in the other, but since I had seen Pan in the last year, I decided to go with the dual DVD.

The kids were away all weekend and ChickJax was not feeling well on Sunday, thus napping, so I decided to use the quiet time to watch Rounders. I decided to watch it on the laptop using headphones in order to keep quiet. I really like watching movies on a laptop as I can go where I want and really focus on the movie with the headphones pumping out some kick ass audio.

Mid-way through the movie I came across something I had not noticed the first time I watched it back in the day. During the scene where Mike (Matt Damon) goes to a bar to see his girlfriend Jo (Gretchen Mol), the song playing in the background is Windows by Hobex.

Hobex is the mastermind of Greg Humphreys, of Dillon Fence notoriety (remember that song where Hootie & The Blowfish sing "Put on a little Dillon, sittin' on a fence.")? Anyway, Greg is a great singer and songwriter. I've seen many a Hobex show and own several of their albums. A buddy of mine played in a band that played with those guys several times so I've spent some time with the band in the past, though I doubt any of them would remember me.

At one particular show we were backstage with the band and Greg was hitting on ChickJax prior to realizing her and I were married. It's one of those moments I will never forget as he was just so clueless. I love their music and always will, but for whatever reason, now whenever I hear a song, I always briefly think back to when he hit on ChickJax.

If you want to hear what song was playing in the bar during the movie, click this link and scroll down to the song Windows. That song is from the brilliant album Back In The 90's, which garnered moderate success when it came out around the same time as Rounders in 98. As a side note, what a kick ask idea...title an album you created and distributed in the 90s, "Back In The 90's." Now when I listen to the title song, it makes even more sense now than it did when it came out.

So there, I'm not playing poker lately, but at least I can come up with a post about a poker movie. It's the best I can do right now people.

Until next time, may the felt be with you .

posted by TripJax @ 4:40 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home