Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



The Wall Street Game

Only days ago I proclaimed that I'm feeling dialed in with my poker game. It was interesting as my feeling of confidence did not stem from playing tons of poker, but quite the opposite. Time away from the game gave me a good feeling.


After I wrote that post I proceeded to fire up PokerStars and, for the life of me, I could not commit to anything. I would see a tournament opening up, but it was hours from start time. I registered and subsequently unregistered from numerous tournaments or sng's for numerous reasons. For a number of them, the multi-table sng's were taking too long to fill at the $20 level I wanted to play so I just finally lost the motivation.


I ended up playing one single table sng and eventually bubbled. Not so dialed in it seemed. But I really just decided the timing wasn't right for me and I shrugged it off as no big deal. I still felt great about my game and I was not going to let that waiver.


I did not play online poker again until last night at The Mookie. But first, I'd like to discuss my trip to New York City and my live poker with some new folks (new to me that is) at The Wall Street Game.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was flying out Monday night to NYC for a meeting on Tuesday. I was travelling alone so this left my evening plans for Monday wide open. I'm the type that could stay in the hotel bar drinking a beer and reading a newspaper alone or out on the town with friends...either way I'm content.

This time, as it turned out, Jordan was planning to play the Wall Street Game and there was an open seat for yours truly. They played two tournaments on the night, but I was only able to make the 2nd one due to my flight plans. I now realize after the fact that this was a good thing as they already had a full table for the 1st tournament.

When I first heard about the Wall Street Game I had visions of a bunch of "suits" sitting around the table gabbing about the Dow Jones and Nasdaq and plopping down $500 tournament buy-ins. During the day I'm pretty much a suit, but if I had my druthers I'd be gabbing about inside straight draws instead of margin interest rates. And when I leave work, I leave the suit behind (not literally folks). Lets just say I value my cargo shorts, dumbass t-shirts, and ratty ass flip flops.

Back to the game. As I walked into Jamie's apartment, I was welcomed by everyone with smiling faces. Everyone was extremely laid back and amicable and I just immediately felt a good vibe and didn't have the stress that can occasionally come with playing in a new poker game.

I had not eaten since breakfast so they helped me get some excellent chinese food and it arrived right when the game was starting. For quite a while I was hopping from the poker table to the kitchen to grub, but no one ever gruffed about my running back and forth. I managed to play some very laid back poker early on, but as the blinds progressed I stepped up the pace at the right times. I also managed to get Aces twice in a span of 5 or 10 minutes midway through the tourney. That helped me survive a low stack and allowed me to get back into the thick of things.

I won't bore you with stuff I don't really remember well (and no that doesn't mean a ton of suckouts I don't want to mention...just typical poker stuff), but I did end up winning the tournament, though Jordan and I chopped 1st and 2nd money. I got some extra cash since I was a 3-2 chipleader at that point and I got the 1st place nod, but honestly it could have gone either way had we played it out. Part of me wanted to play it out just for the enjoyment of playing against a buddy live, but I also knew it would be a good thing to head back to the hotel a little early as well as get out of Jamie's hair since we were the last remaining players for the night.

Let me just go ahead and say that Jamie is a very gracious host. He had one extra player in the 1st game and actually sat out of his own tournament so that person could play. That player did not RSVP, but Jamie still graciously opted to sit out. That player ended up getting knocked out on the 1st hand! Read about that as well as a snippet of the game info here.

As for Jordan, as always he was a funny fucker and as easy as ever to hang out with. Thanks again to both Jamie and Jordan for the hospitality. If you haven't already, definitely check out Jordan's much better post about the night here.

I'm running low on time at the moment, so let me just end by letting you know I cashed in the Mookie last night, but in the last paying spot. Still some money into the roll, but I was feeling good about my chances of winning once at the final table, but it was not to be. I'm pretty sure I was the chipdleader with 7 remaining and ended up going out in 6th. That sux.

I've run horrible at the Mookie this year, so it felt good to at least get a final table and a minor cash even though it wasn't much. I have high hopes for the coming weeks and sealing up another Mookie win. I can feel it blog damnit!

So since I got back into focusing on my game I've played 3 times, won one of those games, and cashed in the other. I really need to get on the ball and start playing more poker methinks.

Man this was craptastic post. Sorry yo's.

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 5:22 PM,

3 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

I will just cut and paste the same comment I left for Jordan:

"God, you guys are so ghey. 11pm and tired? And you're what? 27? Try adding 10 years and a 2 year old. Chop heads-up at 11pm? ghey ghey ghey I say.

As always a great read."

And about your Duplicate Poker question, I didn't download from your link. I had heard about them before and had no reason to try it out until the PokerNews freerolls started. I played one of them and made it to the top 24. It's a weird game. I need to do a write up soon.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Duly noted.

And for the record...32...with TWO kids...lets just say I normally rock steady, but occasionally passing out in a King size bed in peace is not the worst thing in the world.

Worry not, when I play my first home game with you, I'll be the drunk bastage asking who wants to go out on the town after the game.

Just ask the G-Vegas crew...

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

I meant 27 for Jordan, who lives 2 blocks from the game and as far as I know has been shooting blanks so far (Jordan, I am obviously kidding, cherish every moment you have before your life gets flipped on it's head and you lose all control and recollection of what you have right now).

I also know what a hotel room with a King size bed and peace means to any parent. Except for some reason I can never really sleep in those, so I end up playing all night online.

And I can't wait to get you down here to one of our homegames. I had plans to get an ATL-PBT game, but I have some travels coming up and won't be able to do it anytime soon. I think 23ski is looking at something in mid Sept.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on music. Have a great loooooooong weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home