Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



So Close

Prior to last nights Blogger Big Game, the first tournament in the BBTwo series, I was feeling good about my chances of winning. I was being cocky enough to think about what title I would use for my winning post. I was also mapping out the songs I would listen to during my winning run. I felt good about my game having won the previous BBT Big Game.

I then played like a Grade A Vagina the first 90 minutes of the tourney. I let others dictate my play and quickly found myself chipped down to below 2000. I felt like I hadn't played a single hand and I was already near the bottom of the pack. My big hands weren't seeing a flop and my hands that really want to see a flop were bricking on the board. After what felt like ages, I got myself deep into a hand where I lucksacked my way into a ton of chips with a magical turn and river that gave me a straight over the set of Surflexus and TPTK of cracknaces (didn't even realize he had ANOTHER blog until last night). The hand played out strangely, but the end result was I was one lucky mofo.

A couple minutes after that play I got up during the tournament, went to the bathroom to take a wiz, and pretty much slapped myself in the face. I needed a wake up call...and fast. I told myself to quit playing like a tard, trust my reads, and just let things happen as they will. From there I felt in control of my game and I rode that confidence to the final table.

From there I made it heads-up with a commanding chiplead and felt like I was going to win the tournament. I can't remember how many times I had jeciimd on the ropes, but no matter what I did, the board proceeded to hate on me. I was getting my just dues from my early lucksacking I guess. The big hand that really sucker punched me was my AA vs. KK where he flopped a set and subsequently did me in. Only a few hands later my run was over. Guess I'll have to stamp my ticket to the T.O.C. at another BBTwo tourney.

Regardless, my last two Big Games are a 1st and 2nd place finish...

Invested: $150
Payout: $2,068

Fushizzle.

On a side note, this is good stuff. For the record, Goat, I had the chips and had a good feeling so I went with it. I could not be knocked out of the tourney on the play and felt like I could really chip up aginst someone with a small pair or medium suited connectors willing to battle. I knew it was a risk, but I'm willing to take those late in the game in order to chip-up to make a run for a win. Unlike some thought, I hadn't limped, but rather pot bet. At that point, once you pushed it was only 9k more for me to call into a 20k pot when I had +$40k behind (numbers not exact, but you get the idea). Also, I can see your hole cards as well as the FFF-T-R before it comes out, so that helps.


Until next time, may the felt be with you.

Update:
First, I forgot to link jeciimd above, so I wanted to fix that. Second, I want to add that jeciimd played quite well at the final table and played a good heads-up game too. He was very patient heads-up, made good moves at the right time and was willing to push at seemingly the right times every time. He probably didn't know it, but he played right into what I consider a strength of mine I think, which is playing small ball heads-up poker. Still, he managed to take me down with a few timely cards, all-ins and good choices. I don't want my comments above to take away from his nice win. Congrats in silencing the critics man! Now start blogging again blog damnit!

posted by TripJax @ 1:04 PM,

12 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger cmitch said...

Nice work. Don't limp from the button. :)

You pwn the big game!!!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger CEMfromMD said...

Great job! Sorry to hear you didnt get the T.O.C. ticket in this one. Appreciate the kinds words in the comments on my blog. I think I need some time off, I may be back before the end for the BBTwo, you never know. But I will be railing you guys and gals in some of them at least. Good luck!!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Julius_Goat said...

I think your math is off a couple thousand, but I know what you mean. I was pretty sure that you were getting a little worse than 2:1. I've not looked at the HH and I'm historically wrong about those things, though.

I think the call is marginal, but I'm not about to rant on it. You nailed the mindset of the big stack. Make the call, take your chances, if you lose play smallball. And I've made the same exact play (including a very similar one earlier last night), so I won't hypocrite-icize.

I was actually was very very glad you called . . . until I wasn't.

Having said all that, I hate you and I hate your . . . ass FACE!

Heh. GG.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Chad C said...

I didn't watch much heads up, can't believe you lost that lead!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought you had it sewn up , so I went to bed. Regardless, great job, Trip.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude you took some tough beats heads up but kept coming back.

Great job last night.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger President Dave said...

Well done on another huge score. See you at the Hoy.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

that HU battle went on forever. you both played like champions. well done Trip.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger PokahDave said...

Nice score Trip!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger lj said...

"Grade A Vagina?" i'm not sure i understand...

it def seemed like a tough hu match from the few parts I saw, and I caught the fateful AA v. KK hand. :( i have no doubt you will still be in the toc. and, um, happy birthday?!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

thanks everyone...good times as always.

lj...i was playing like a pussy early on.

and you'll have to check this post to understand the birthday part. gracie trips me out...

http://tripjax.blogspot.com/2007/10/bosss-day-bbtwo.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home