Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Mountain Poker

Went to a cabin in the mountains this weekend with some friends and managed to actually play some poker.  We primarily played spades, but once that was over, a few of us whipped out some chips and played.  It was nice playing some live poker, but it definitely was not enough to quench the thirst.  I'll be ready to get back at it soon.

We only had 3 people playing, so it was short-handed from the get go.  I ended up losing heads-up when I was called on the river for a sizeable pot with Q high.  I had missed my draw and only had T high, but it was still a pretty sick call for my buddy to make.  I gave him a hard time for a moment, asking him how on earth he could call my bet, and he simply answered, "I'm drunk dude...very drunk."  That pretty much summed it up for us both.  We both made crazy moves in the game and his crazy moves were bettter than mine.

I was actually glad he made some money as he hadn't played in years and really need some motivation to start playing again.  I hope that was enough of a spark to get him wanting to play again next time I see him.  The next morning his wife said to him, "so you didn't lose to Trip."  His reply was, "no honey, I won to Trip." 

It's funny about us poker players when we're around friends and folks who don't play often or ever.  They immediately assume when we play we will win...especially against them.  I am forever reminding them that luck has a ton to do with it in the short run.  That and I'm not very good in the first place.  It was nice my buddy and his wife to see that this game is not always decided before the cards hit the felt.  This weekend was one of the few times I was happy to lose a poker game.  Weird how that works sometimes.

Time is money...and I have neither...so I've got to bounce.

Until next time, may the felt be with you.   

posted by TripJax @ 9:24 AM,

5 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger WindBreak247 said...

I have to ask...was the clever phrasing in the title on purpose or a happy accident? "Mountain Poker", much like another of my favorites..."Liquor in the Front, Poker in the Rear"

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

C'mon now, you're talking about the guy whose blog used to be named Poker In Arrears. To this day I still laugh at my old blog name.

Yeah, I thought about it when writing the title, but I just picked that as a title to keep it simple. I always laugh about childish phrases like that. It must be in my blood.

Glad I'm not alone!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger WindBreak247 said...

See now I didn't know that. I just wanted to make sure...because if it was unintentional it only would've made it about 10x more funny.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My home game has fizzled out and the local charitable group that hosted tourneys and games seems to have gone out of business. I am in serious live poker deprevation. I might even quench it by playing a WSOP circuit event in a week. What a way to get a fix!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i like......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home