Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Playing Stud Poker Does Not Make You A Stud


First of all...I'm an idiot...again.

The recent WPBT was my first experience with Pokerstars so I'm slowly but surely learning to navigate their system. As I mentioned in a previous post, after getting knocked out around 40th in the WPBT, I had not gotten my poker fix, so I started searching the tables and found the Heads Up section. Played a guy and ended up winning some cash. Last night I decided I would give that another try before I went to bed. It was around 11:00pm already so I figured I could finish a NL heads up match relatively quickly. Much like Party, I was easily frustrated when every time I tried to register for a table, someone would get there quicker. It's my own fault for having a dinosaur for a computer and a 56k modem, but damn I would like for them to figure something out to make it better. Anyway, I finally caught a break and hit a $10 NL Hold'em table. Uuuuuhhhh...scratch that...why am I all of a sudden getting 2 cards down and 1 card up? Like a dumbass, I thought I was clicking on the NL Hold'em game and clicked on a Limit Stud Hi/Lo game.

Immediately I went into recovery mode...can I leave the table....nope. Can I find a Pokerstars rep for help...nope. So instead, I jokingly entered into the chat box, "I'm an idiot, clicked on the wrong game. I've never played this game so go easy on me." Never heard a peep from the other guy. In hind sight, I'm sure he thought I was just BSing him by saying that. However, my showing confirmed my idiocy, so I hope he didn't walk away from that table thinking he was some high and mighty player. I on the other hand played like a bottom dwelling fishhead. I called so many freaking hands with ass cards, I deserved what I got. In the back of my head, I was justifying my bad play because it was not my strongest form of poker. But honestly, through home games and such I've probably played almost every brand of poker. So I knew what I was doing after about the first 3 minutes. My brain, however, decided it was time to look like a gorilla was playing in my spot. My wife came in to check on how I was doing, and when I said I had clicked on a stud game by accident, she gave me a pretty weird look. She knows as much about poker as I know about make-up...nadda...so I can imagine when her husband told her he was playing a stud game, she was a bit confused. In that moment, I certainly did not feel like a stud...

In the end, the action was so slow it felt like a doctor was sticking me with a needle, but taking 1 hour to take it back out. If you are looking for a quick game to play before you hit the sack...limit Stud Hi/Lo is not the place to be. I love Omaha Hi/Lo, but I always prepare myself before I go into a tournament cause I know it could be a while. So in the end it was $10 down the pipe, but I'm still at the level I was at after the WPBT so it's all good. Plus I now have added another aspect of poker playing to my game in case I want to play it again. For now I think I'll grind a few games out this weekend...maybe even hit some ring games instead of tourneys. And as always, there's a good chance there'll be a live game somewhere...

posted by TripJax @ 8:18 PM,

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have an online poker site with some original articles related to internet poker that your blog readers may find interesting - here's a sample article:

Poker Money Management - Don't Make These Two Common Mistakes!
Here we will give you some general guidelines on poker money management and the two most common errors that players make, that increase the odds of ...

internet poker


Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home