Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Talk To The Hand...History (Part 1)

As poker players, we see incorrect plays ALL THE TIME. More times than I'd like to admit, I'm making the wawful play. Usually I try to suck it up, figure out how and why I made the clown move, then move on. Just last night in the Mookie I played my last hand horribly and paid the price. I had no reason to make the move I did, but I did it anyway. I know I was wrong, but I moved on because I had no one to blame but myself.

Sometimes, however, I see players make moves that I deem incorrect, then they mouth off about the hand as if they were robbed. In some instances they dive into a chat tirade for the rest of the tournament, following their villain from table to table mouthing off to anyone who will listen. Other times, they just whip out one verbal jab as a sweet little fuck you on their way out the door.

Well I'm here to bring those particular hand histories to the masses and see what others think. I'm not trying to call out anyone or make anyone look like an ass. That's not my point here. I'm just hoping that we can have a little fun with a hand history and hopefully some people can learn a thing or two from the comments on the hand.

So if you are part of a particular hand history and have a beef with me for posting it here, please take it easy. In fact, I don't plan to list the names of those in the hand, so it really shouldn't be a big deal. I will list the winner of the hand as "Fuck Yeah!" and the loser of the hand (and the subsequent person who makes the comment after the fact) as "Fuck No!" Sometimes I will be involved in the hand history, but other times I will just have witnessed it play out at my table. I expect this might become a regular theme on my blog considering how often I see smack talk at the table. Guess it will depend on if the smack talk is legit.

For today's Talk To The Hand...History, I was not in the particular hand in question.

Here it is all spiffed up using PokerXFactor.

The Great Chase

In addition to the hand history above, I've listed the basic hand history at the bottom of this post for those who would rather view it that way or cannot view the above version.

Now after this hand was over, Fuck No! rattled off the comment "Great Chase" and then promptly left the table (or at least did not comment again). Curious (and bored), I decided to take a gander at the hand history right then and there to see if his facetious jab was warranted.

Though I have already done a detailed analysis of the hand history, I'm going to refrain from posting it now as I'd rather let the readers review and make their own comments without my opinions swaying the situation.

I will note this however. I have no problem with people making mistakes in poker or just straight up playing a hand wrong. Like I noted above, I do it more than I care to remember. I'm in the same camp as Chad. If someone buys into a tournament, they can play any two cards they choose and their is nothing we can do about it. I am absolutely cool with that idea. What I do think is tarded is when someone plays a hand questionably, then makes an ill-advised comment as if they were robbed, when in all actuality, their play warranted the result.

So with all the above duly noted, was this The Case Of The Great Chase or did Fuck No! get what he deserved?


Full Tilt Poker Game #2547762341: The Mookie - Mr. Wonka (19284383), Table 2 - 30/60 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:32:05 ET - 2007/05/30
Seat 1: hoyazo (1,528)
Seat 2: summer_babe (1,095)
Seat 3: TripJax (1,920)
Seat 4: NumbersGame (2,492)
Seat 5: columbo (1,305)
Seat 6: Fuck Yeah! (1,325)
Seat 7: Fuck No! (1,020)
Seat 8: Mike_Maloney (1,365)
Seat 9: DontKnow (2,965)
Fuck Yeah! posts the small blind of 30
Fuck No! posts the big blind of 60
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TripJax [6c 9d]
Mike_Maloney folds
DontKnow folds
hoyazo folds
summer_babe folds
TripJax folds
NumbersGame folds
columbo folds
Fuck Yeah! calls 30
Fuck No! checks
*** FLOP *** [9h 3d 9s]
Fuck Yeah! checks
Fuck No! checks
*** TURN *** [9h 3d 9s] [6s]
Fuck Yeah! bets 120
Fuck No! raises to 240
Fuck Yeah! calls 120
*** RIVER *** [9h 3d 9s 6s] [Js]
Fuck Yeah! checks
Fuck No! bets 720, and is all in
Fuck Yeah! calls 720
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Fuck No! shows [Kh 9c] (three of a kind, Nines)
Fuck Yeah! shows [4s 7s] (a flush, Jack high)
Fuck Yeah! wins the pot (2,040) with a flush, Jack high
Fuck No! stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,040 Rake 0
Board: [9h 3d 9s 6s Js]
Seat 1: hoyazo didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: summer_babe didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: TripJax didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: NumbersGame didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: columbo (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Fuck Yeah! (small blind) showed [4s 7s] and won (2,040) with a flush, Jack high
Seat 7: Fuck No! (big blind) showed [Kh 9c] and lost with three of a kind, Nines
Seat 8: Mike_Maloney didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: DontKnow didn't bet (folded)

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

Labels:

posted by TripJax @ 3:47 AM,

16 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jestocost said...

Of course playing 74s from just about anywhere is a long-term loser, but a limp from the SB isn't the worst play you'll see all year. I hate Fuck No's slowplaying of the flopped trips, however, especially given the stack sizes. It's the first step in setting up the beat Fuck No took and the min raise of Fuck Yeah's turn bet, which nicely provided the odds to call with the flush draw, is the second. Then on the river he makes a big bet that's only called by a hand that has him beat.

Except for maybe checking from the BB, I'd say Fuck No played it poorly from start to finish. Fuck Yeah got lucky, yes, but Fuck No allowed it to happen.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger WillWonka said...

No question, FN has nobody to blame but himself... Hmm min raises.. what good are they?

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Matt said...

What's the saying - never go broke in an unraised pot? I think this would be exhibit A.

Based on FN's comment, he obviously doesn't understand that he was giving FY the odds to make that "great chase", and if he knew he was chasing, than his push on the river makes the play that much worse.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

The river push was the worst part. Especially since FY checked it to him. Check and save some chips.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

The whole hand was played miserably by fugno IMO. I don't like the check of the flopped trips with strong kicker on the flop, as any reader of my blog knows. The money move is probably to bet there and see if you get any action. Certainly the minraise on the turn was at least as atrocious as the flop play and probably moreso. Why on earth would you ever just minraise with flopped trips against a guy who had just perked up for the first time in the hand when a second spade fell on the board? That move makes absolutely no sense at all and as has been correctly pointed out above, all but assured that fugyah would call the minraise. Of course the clear correct move there is a big raise, one that either chases fugyah out of the pot or at least makes fugyah pay a ridiculous price to draw at his 19% flush draw with just the river card to come.

Then kaja is correct in his comment above, fugno finally decides to bet hard with his flopped trips after the river is out, but only once he sees that the third spade has fallen. It's almost like this person was trying to lose the hand, in that they seem to have played every single round of betting basically opposite to what I think is generally considered the "optimal" way to play this sort of hand. Doesn't bet the flop when he probably should, hardly raises at all where a large raise was warranted if not necessary on the turn, and then moves allin big on the river when it looks like he could likely be beat. Gross. The only comment that should have been made there by fugno was "I fugged that up so bad I must be a blogger."

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Thanks everyone...pretty much what I was thinking too...

Maybe I'll tone down the names next time so people don't have to change them...

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger bayne_s said...

I would never criticize someone completing SB with a suited 2 gapper.

FugYeah post flop play was flawless until river dropped and the result worked out fine so am willing to give credit that his read was other player would bet.

Checked with nothing on flop.

Took stab with gutshot + flush draw on turn, has to call minraise looking at 12 outs.

Hit.

FugYeah played this hand only thinking at Level 1

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jestocost said...

What the fuck for?

And just imagine the hell that would have broken loose if you had stuck around to boat up on the turn!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger surflexus said...

If you had only decided to take a jab at this pot you could have been "Fuck Yeah"!!!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

It wasn't me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger By ABaird said...

Well, last month I played 40+4's only. Normally I play anything from 44-109 depending on time of day, traffic, game selection, how much I feel like thinking...you play sngs at all?

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger surflexus said...

I know it wasn't you but look at the cards you folded. If you had only taken a shot at this pot with position, you would have sucked out with a boat and you could have been "Fuck Yeah"!!! :)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

surf...now i see what you mean. i'm a total donk. lol.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Uwannabet? said...

worst part of this poorly played hand was the push all-in on the river.

btw the laydown that "pained" you this week it was aces.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

i had top pair in that hand...it did hurt to lay it down, but now I'm glad I did.

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice play. I found the hand is easier to follow like this:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/2828

You can embed the visual right in your posts so that it's easier to understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home