Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



One Way Out

DADI's got new digs and you can click on the pic to the left to check'em out. Moving on...

Last nights Mookie brought with it one of the more interesting hands that I've been involved in lately. I wish I had saved the hand history so I could plug it into PokerXFactor, but I'm at work and don't have access to my hand histories right now. I'll try and do it justice here.

RoccoBoxer: AA
Tripjax: KK
Grupper: QQ


I think we were all relatively close in chips, but I don't remember exact stack sizes. Preflop we have raises and re-raises which ultimately result in all 3 of us getting it all-in. At this point, I believe Rocco was approximately a 65% favorite to win the hand. That said, up against two other players, it would not be too crazy to see a K or Q hit the board cracking Rocco's aces. The flop however made things interesting.

Flop: A X K

Now if a lone Ace comes out with no straight or flush cards out there, Rocco would have a strangle hold on the hand with probably a 99% favorite to win the hand. I don't recall the middle card on the flop so I'm not really sure about that. As it were, an Ace AND King hit the flop, which still gave Rocco the strangle hold on the hand, but gave me a little bit more help. I was around 5% to win the pot at that point, methinks.

Turn: X

I don't really remember the turn card and to be honest I was already resigning myself to the fact that I was about to bust out.

River: K

At this point I was rather stunned. I don't think I can remember the last time I put a one out on someone. Normally, in a position like this, you want to yell out, "Dems Quads Beetches," but I honestly felt horrible in that moment. Of course it felt good to be on the receiving end of crazy hand like that, but you can't help but feel bad about a one outer. Especially when it is amongst fellow broggers.

So Rocco, I'm sorry for the bad beat. If I had it to over again, I'd make sure the dealer didn't put that Ace on the flop so at least it would have just been bad luck and not a bad, bad beat (well, would still be a bad beat, but not so damn ugly). Hopefully karma will be on your side soon since you were extremely cool and level headed in the chatbox.

Anyway, I just thought that was an interesting hand.



The other interesting hand for me was my final one. In all actuality, it is just a random hand, but it happened to be my last one of the night. I don't even recall the board, but I know the result was me on the rail. I was directly to the left of Marxst who is a very active player. He gets into tons of pots and has a special knack for hitting the card he needs at just the right time (at least from what I can recall playing with him a couple of times in the last few months). I don't really know much about his play, but he strikes me as the type to either have a huge stack at the final table or be out early. From what I can tell he is a really nice guy and just out to have a good time.

I have K 2 in the BB (400) and it folds to Marxst in the SB (200). I have approximately 3500 and Marxst probably has around 5000 (possibly more). It folds around to him and he bumps it up to 1200. I KNOW I am good here with my K 2 off suit. It's just that feeling you get when you know you have the best hand and I had the feeling. The question here is, getting close to the final table, is this where you risk all your chips if you feel you have the best hand, but it is still very vulnerable? I have an M around 5 and I know I need chips to sustain any chance of playing for the money.

I felt like my bet gave Marxst a chance to fold and still have some chips. If he calls, like I said, I felt I had the best hand. If I was wrong, then I'm hurtin' real bad against any pocket pair and any big cards. As it were, he had Q J and the board helped him more than it helped me.

I just don't know. It felt like a total blind steal or a play he had been making often. I doubt I'm much better than a 55% to 45% favorite, but I felt like it was the right play. What I'm getting at is, under the circumstances noted above - and being a small favorite - is it worth it after nearly two hours of play to put yourself in that situation? Keep in mind, again, I had an M of 5 and was pretty low as far as stack sizes at that point. This is just the type of situation that comes up all the time in almost every tourney so it is worth evaluating to become a better player.



As I noted above, if you haven't already, be sure to take a gander at the new look DADI site. We should have DADI 9 details up soon!



Let me end on a casual note...

Urban Word of the Day
www.urbandictionary.com

August 31, 2006: bonus beer

Beer which one "discovers" having not known that it was there. Typically this occurs after a party or family gathering/event and may often involve a secondary fridge or forgotten cooler. Discovery of said beer is usually followed by feelings of joy and well being, similar to finding unexpected money in a jacket one has not worn in some time.

I'll just clean out the fridge, haven't done that in a while... wait a sec what's this? BONUS BEER! Righteous!

posted by TripJax @ 10:51 AM,

6 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Left behind alcohol is a great reward for throwing a party.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DADI look is cool, nice job.

That was a nasty hand last night, glad I had a front row seat and wasn't involved.

Thanks for playing last night.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger StB said...

mmmmm....beer

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I don't mind your play, but I should probably watch it a little more closely. I need to better react to what I think of how you play. Either way, I've enjoyed playing with you the few times we have played. Good luck...

And thanks Drizz, Mook and Stb for the comments.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger NewinNov said...

$0.02. You had a good read on Marxst1 being active and aggressive. I liked your K but not your kicker and would have put Marxst1 on possibly an A or connectors. Your M was low but although Harrington might push with a Kx, I believe you had enough chips to wait a bit longer before pushing. Given that, you made the right read and call but just got unlucky.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

thanks for the insight new...that's what i'm lookin for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home