Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Rollercoaster

Last night was quite the rollercoaster session. I signed up for the Hoy pretty early and decided I would try some $50NL action before the tourney. I played for quite a while at the 6max tables and was up and down throughout. After about 2 hours of play, and with about 10 minutes remaining before the tourney, I had managed to turn my $50 into $72.

At that point the poker angel on my left shoulder started whispering in my ear that I was up $22 and that was exactly enough for my Hoy buy-in. No matter what, I could break even on the night if I left the cash game table there. The poker devil on my right shoulder had one simple thing to say. "Dude, what the fuck are you going to do for 10 minutes until the tourney starts?"

Damn you poker devil.

Before I go forward, let me remind you all that I don't tend to post bad beat stories at this here brog. It's just not my bag baby. However, in order to paint the rollercoaster picture, I gotta get all this out. Also, I gotta mention that a rollercoaster night for me is nothing compared to some of the stuff I read out there and know that many of you go through. Still, for me and my mediocre bankroll, this was an interesting night.

So there I sit up nearly 50% of my original buy-in on the night and I decide to just play out the table until right before the tourney. That's when the hand happened.

It's folded to me on the button and I pop the big blind of $.50 up to $2 with 7s9s
Small blind folds.
Big blind thinks for about 10 seconds then calls.
Flop comes 6s8s2s giving me my flush with an open ended straight flush draw.
Big blind bets $4.
I pop it up to $11.
He pushes all-in and I call.
He flips over 8c2h.
The turn is the 2c and the river a Kx giving him a fullhouse twos over eights
I'm left with $1.90 of my original $72 before the hand.

About 10 seconds after that hand the Hoy tourney table popped open. In a weird way, I was a little bit miffed, but not mad. I jokingly told the table to watch out cause I was on tilt. I really wasn't on tilt, but I certainly didn't play well. It showed in that I barely made it past the 10 minute mark and the late registration. A very ugly showing.

I lost 1/3 of my chips early to Hoy when I flopped middle pair jacks with an A on the board. I kept betting at it, but had to let it go when Hoy showed strenth and re-raised me. It felt like a well timed slow play, but he could have been pushing me off with a pocket pair. Not sure.

Not too long after I'm right at 1000 and pop it up with the hammer. Slb59 has the audacity to suck out on me with some hand that was way inferior to the hammer. Someone lied to me...I thought the hammer had never lost in the history of poker. Somehow I lost with it. Bastardos!

At this point I'm down $72 for the session, but in my head I'm down $94 since I lost $72 on the last cash game hand. I decide to head back to the $50NL cash games as they were still quite juicy in my mind. At this point the poker angel on my left shoulder is telling me to give it up and go ask for forgiveness, but I knew at this point the poker devil on my right shoulder was going to be in control of me the rest of the night.

Long story short is, in a matter of 30 minutes after the Hoy tourney, I end up stacking 3 short stacks and one decent size stack and turn my $50 buy-in into $125. My last big hand was stacking the decent size stack when my Js9s flopped the nut flush and played him into two pair on the river. It was a thing of beauty seeing those chips pushed my way after losing my stack only 30 minutes earlier to 8 2 offsuit.

It was a short rollercoaster, but I think I have whiplash. Still, it is nice to have rough nights like this and still break even. So I've got that going for me...

posted by TripJax @ 10:41 AM,

10 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger TechGuyTom said...

Reminds me of this funny story...
OK, it's not really funny, suffice to say I went through the same thing last week. Down a buyin and back for a nice profit. Of course it's always planned that way :)

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger jjok said...

A single table suckout can be one of the worst feelings. But it happens, and it happens alot.....

Sorry about the bankroll ding on that hand......now go get it back please. I hear chasing losses is a good, sound strategy.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

It sounds like you needed my mantra:

"You want them to play this way. You want them to play this way. You want them to play this way. You want...."

It doesn't ALWAYS help, but it usually does.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

That's exactly right wolf...I wanted him to play that way...just stunned for a split second what had to transpire for me to lose that hand.

He calls a 4X raise with no one else in the hand with 82 offsuit. Bad for him.

He catches 2 pair. Good for him.

He hits his out on the turn and stacks me. Bad for me.

Just bad luck, but it is all good. I got my money back and can't wait to play that dude again.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Arg. It's that just one last hand syndrome. The poker gods know you are up and set you up for a big downfall. Hard to get away from a straight flush draw. That dork who called with 8-2 - wtf was he thinking? Ya, he thought he'd fight back from a blind steal attempt and he magically hit a flop. Don't ya just hate that?

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Yo, Trip.

Drop me an email so we can talk about the Bash.

morlith at rocketmail dot combatant.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Easycure said...

Well, at least the good guy won in the end.

82o...calling a 4x raise? Make sure you search for that guy every time you sit down.

Every. Time.

(I keep a list of donkeys taped to the computer screen. It works.)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Heavy Critters said...

"Damn you poker devil."

Indeed.

Nice score, yo.

I love it when a plan comes together.

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making it out to The Mookie last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home