Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Thinking Poker

It's been a busy last couple of days for yours truly running from one office to another putting in my time where I'm needed. I guess it's better to be needed, busy and get paid, than the alternatives. I digress.

I've been having all sorts of pokery stuff running through my mind lately, but nothing that really makes for a great post. Part of me - let's call it my ugly side - has this inherent trait within to constantly question everything about the game. To find the advantages over others and exploit them to the max. To create new ideas about the game or change existing ideas to better my game. This is the part of me that always has random pokery stuff swirling through my head throughout the day. Weird shit.

The other part - let's call this one my debonair side - knows this game has been around a loooonnnngggg time and has been analyzed in and out by the greats of this and prior generations. This part scoffs at my ugly side trying to question the great players and their strategies offered in books, forums, blogs and on tv.

Somewhere in the middle is the true me...willing to listen and learn from any and everyone, but not afraid to question when something just doesn't fit. I think I like this me best, not only for the reasons just mentioned, but also because this me really likes adult beverages. And boobies.



One of the things I've been spending more time thinking about is what I need to do to put myself in a position to win more tournaments. Yeah, I know, that's a pretty obvious train of thought, but one I'm still pondering a good bit these days.

In looking at the Hoy from the other night, we had about 50 runners and starting stacks of 3,000. With the winner needing 150,000 chips at the end of the tournament, you need to double your original starting stack nearly 6 times throughout the tournament to take it down.

What is fascinating about this is the many, many different ways to accomplish this. Some players use a strategy that keeps the pots low, rarely getting all their chips all-in without monsters, but building a stack throughout the tournament. Others take serious risks to accumulate chips in a hurry and dominate the tournament throughout. Bottom line is many players are playing many styles that form the landscape of a typical tournament.

What I'm getting at is I'm no where near ready to get into any details, but I'm doing a ton of thinking about how to create a better game plan for the different tournaments I play. For now my thoughts are focused on the blonkey tournaments that are part of the Battle Of The Blogger Tournaments, since those are what I'm mainly playing right now.

Speaking of which, tonight's offering is The Mookie. I'm looking to get back on track tonight after a disappointing result in The Hoy on Monday. I'm currently nestled in 17th place overall, which is not too shabby. So far I've been as high as 14th ("I bet you have panama red") and as low as 150+. I just need one nice win to vault me into the top 5. Tonight I hope to bring it!



One last note before I go. I'm signed up for the Blogger Bracelet Race. Are you?

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 9:19 AM,

2 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey brotha if you figure anything out about the blonkaments, please let me know. I would pay money to be anywhere near the BBT top 20 right now.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

duly noted hoy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home