Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Basketball, Baseball, Beer, & Babies

April ushers in some exciting times for yours truly. Tonight, my Tarheels play for the National Championship and the anticipation is killing me...I already have a queezy stomach and the game is still 5 hours away. I really hope Roy and the boys can bring the trophy home on this one. I'm excited to see a match up that I think everyone should enjoy...not too often when #1 can play #2 for the championship. I hope it's close, but I hope UNC takes it. We watched the last game at a local bar where they reserved a couch area in front of a big screen T.V. for us which was nice. More of the same tonight so I'm looking forward to that again. Beer and basketbal go quite well together.

Also this month - to my wifes dismay - is the beginning of the baseball season. To hell with all the steroid coverage that's been going on...just give me some damn baseball to watch. Specifically, I'm looking forward to watching my Cubbies bring a championship home...now that Boston has done it there is only one logical path that can be taken...damn I hope they can do it this year.

Most importantly for April...it's baby time. My wife is due April 26th, though she's already starting to show signs that baby may make her presence known a little early. Her contractions are occurring more and more each day so we are playing it by ear. This will be child #2 for us, but our first girl. I'm pretty excited about the whole Daddy's Girl gig. I am definitely getting a queezy stomach more and more as the due date gets closer.

As for poker content, as I mentioned in my last post, I've decided to take a break for a little while. I don't think my head has been in the game lately and my results show it. I mentioned in my last post that, right after completing the post, I was going to play one last SNG. Now if I had won that SNG - or even placed in it - my outlook might have changed, but I made a typical stupid mistake that justified my need to take a break and get my head straight. With 4 people left I was in 2nd place in chips, but we were all pretty close to even. I have A J offsuit in the big blind and the small blind - who is also the chip leader - raises it up to 400 after the first 2 players fold. So what do I do? I push the rest of my stack in and watch as he calls and flips over A K offsuit. No cards come my way and I'm out.

As I sat there watching the last 3 guys congratulate each other for making it in the money, I could only blame myself for bubbling again without making any cash. In a hot streak, where you can't seem to lose, it might be a good idea to push with A J offsuit and see what happens. However, in my case, I've been making every wrong move possible. In this case, I feel like I made the wrong move again. Why am I putting my game on the line with that hand. I know that I'm one away from placing in the money and I'm in 2nd place. I also know that there is one guy with $1500 less than me who will need to make a move soon. So of course the best thing for me to do is push all-in with a marginable hand against the chip leader. Idiot.

With the middle finger fully lifted towards onling gaming for a while, I hope to play in some live games soon. It's tough right now though cause I don't want to stray too far from home with the baby coming anyday. Some of the games I often play are 30ish minutes away and I'm not sure I want to do that right now. I hope I can find a good game close by that I can play soon cause I'm itchingto play, but just need to get my head straight about the game. I'm a better player than the way I've been playing and I just need to think about my decisions before making an important move. Too often I put my self in a position where I immediately question what I did, but didn't take the time to really put any thought into it in the first place. Why not take the extra 10 seconds and make sure it's the right move? I guess that's what online poker does to your game...it puts you in a mode where you feel like you have to make a decision right away, whether it's the right decision or not. And with the game involving an element of luck, it's all too easy to question yourself when things aren't going your way.

Well, even though I'm not playing as much I still have some poker theory/general questions that I may have to drop on this blog here soon to get them out of my head. With my lack of luck with coin flips these days, I really have been putting a lot of thought into the importance of putting yourself in a position where you usually have the % advantage. I'll be dropping some thoughts here soon...

posted by TripJax @ 8:11 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home