Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



The Hookie

If you look at my last two outtings at the blonkey events, my stats are not too shabby.

Two Tournaments...

Two Final Tables...

Two In The Money.

A guy could get used to this. After starting out rather slow in the Battle Of The Blogger Tournaments, I've managed to go on a mini heater of sorts. No actual wins, but a 3rd place in The Hoy two nights ago and a 6th place in The Mookie last night definitely make me feel a little better about things.

Methinks I may just crack the Top 20 of the BBT standings with last nights showing.

I must say both tournaments were eerily similar. In both I held my ground early and managed to double up right when I needed it to stay at or near the average. Then when the blinds were beginning to get ugly, and I needed to make a move, the right things happened at the right time. In The Hoy my key hand to stay alive was AT vs A9 and I hit my nine. Last night, with the blinds spanking us, I shoved with AQ and oossuuu754 called with his AK. I turned a Q and rivered an unnecessary flush.

So both times I was seriously outkicked, but managed to hit my key card to stay alive. In both tournaments I never looked back and coasted to the final table with timely steals and selective aggression. And in both tournaments I managed to get my money all-in with the best of it at the final table, but was knocked out before having a chance to get heads-up. I just can't get angry about being Nifong'ed at the final table. I put the hurt on someone earlier in the tournament and I got my just dues at the end. What comes around goes around, and that statement rains painfully true in poker.

On a side note, I've added oossuuu754 to my list of daily reads. That dude is smoking it in the BBT events, currently in 3rd place over all, though that does not include last nights tourney results. I know if I had not fonked him as noted above, he'd be in even better position.



Tired, but not ready to pack it in since I was still running well in The Mookie, I decided to play The Dookie as well. I don't think I've played Mook's 2nd Chance tournament more than 3 or 4 times, so last night was a rarity. I think it was the format that enticed me to give it a whirl. It was a heads-up tournament and I love playing heads-up, whether it is just against one opponent or tournament style.
About 30 minutes into my heads-up match with Don Morris, he pointed out a strange thing. Instead of the players who won their matches having to wait for the other opponents to finish their match, the software allowed them to play on. As it turns out, Don and I played a very long and drawn out match that kept going back and forth. Meanwhile, the other players were cutting through their opponents like Britney with shears (Britney Shears, if you will).

By the time Don finally finished me off (had to be well over 100 hands) some of the other players had already played 4 or 5 matches. In fact, of the 20+ starters, when I got knocked they were down to 5 players remaining. If my match against Don had lasted a little longer, we might have finished 2nd and 3rd (in the money) and 3rd place would have won ZERO matches.

I don't know about you, but I think that is a pretty messed up way to run a heads up tourney. When Don finally started his 2nd heads-up match, he was down in chips 3k to 21k. Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems off. This is in no way a knock on Mookie or Full Tilt, 'cause in the end I think it was just a simple mistake on Full Tilt's part. No harm, no foul. Just thought it was a wild ride. To be honest, I was enjoying the idea of making the money without ever winning a match. Would have been a cool story to tell.

Tonight we continue on the BBT beaten path with a Riverchasers event. I'll be looking to make this a 3-fer of final tables, so please come out and join me.



As I mentioned yesterday, beyond the blogger tournaments, I've decided to try and focus my attention on some larger buy-in events, and the satellites into those events. After some perusal last night, I think my focus will be on the 8:00pm 40k with a $150 buy-in. I noticed smokkee and cmitch were in it last night and I railed them for a while, eventually seeing smokkee get knocked out. He actually played his ask off and just missed the final table. Well done sir.

One thing that I'm not sure of and need to look a little closer at is the satellites into this event. I never could find any satellites for it or the one today. I may have just been looking at the wrong time, but I'm wondering what types of satellites they have for the 40k or $150 buy-ins in general. I had heard smokkee satellited into that one, so maybe he can help me out.

Other than that, there was also a 22k that I might give a whirl on occasion, but I still need to do my research on both before I pin down my faves. I would LOVE to play the 6-max 30k that Hoy plays in regularly, but it just starts a little later than I would like. If I run deep in the 40k that starts at 8:00pm, I foresee finishing sometime at or around 2am. However the 30k looks like it would end between 4 and 5am. Not goot for me.

So, I ramble all the above to say I'm still not sure which direction I'm headed, but if anyone can help with the satellite stuff, I'd appreciate it.



Our cat, Jah, has been snoring and breathing heavy at night for the last few months. She usually sleeps at the end of the bed and I often give her a jab with my foot to get her to move around, thus stop the snoring. Sitting here today I feel pretty shitty about my actions. We took her to the vet yesterday cause she's been acting lethargic and not herself. She's 13 years old, but is normally much more active than she has been lately.

It turns out she has a massive tumor that is constricting her wind pipe and just causing her a fit. Outlook not good. ChickJax is pretty torn up about it, so things around the house are a little touch and go lately. We don't want Jah to suffer, so we want her to spend some quality time with the family for a while and then make a decision on what to do. If she starts feeling better, that would be hawesome. However, based on what the doc has told us, we probably shouldn't expect things to get much better. For now, we just want to be with her while she's still occasionally hopping along as if nothing is wrong.

No comments necessary, just wanted to get that off my chest as Jah has been a great part of our family for many years and I've never mentioned her in this blog that I can recall.

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 9:20 AM,

11 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger AlCantHang said...

Nice job again.

Yes, you are in the top 20 now.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger TripJax said...

Sux Al...I can't view your site from work...only your RSS feed. I guess at least I can read your posts, but whenever you have something interesting to see (like the BBT points or boobies) I miss out on it.

That's why I'm glad you guys list the points on the BBT site as well...

Fanks.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Smoke satellited in through a $24+$2 MTT, that might be only "announced" at the moment and therefore not showing up as a satellite for you. I'm not sure exactly what time it's at.

My cat is 13-14, and diagnosed with a massive tumor and put on Pregnisone. The vet said she expected 6-8 weeks maybe a couple months max, that was nearly two years ago :D

Don't give up on her yet.

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the final table finish..very well done.

Sorry about The Dookie...don't worry though it will get resolved and we'll have a freeroll tourney one way or the other.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

JL...my wife will love hearing that. The biggest problem is it is in a bad, bad place. It makes it hard for her to breath, eat, sleep, etc. If it were somewhere else on her body we would be *a little* less concerned. Thanks for the words of encouragment.

Mook...no worries...like I said, I won't lose sleep over it. Now if it were a $50 buy-in, maybe. But not $5...

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's the first time I've seen Nifong used as a verb. I like it. :-)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger cmitch said...

Good playing with you last night.

I am looking right now and they have the following satellites. (not sure if the times will work for you since you have kids and a job.)

4:45 pm $8.80 turbo
5:00 pm $8.80+rebuys turbo
5:15 pm $15 turbo
5:30 pm $13+rebuys turbo
5:45 pm $26 turbo

Good luck

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger oossuuu754 said...

Jax thanks for the shout out and look forward to seeing you at riverchasers tonight, although I am going to be focussing on the $1K ME event tonight I am going to gunning for all the Fonkies out there.

Shawn

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Yeah Jordan the reason I never play that 8pm ET 40k guaranteed on full tilt is that the sats all run nightly from 4:45 to 5:45pm ET, and us working lawyer stiffs don't generally have time to get home in time for that stuff. That's why I've ended up at the 11pm ET 30k guaranteed instead -- because unlike the already-affordable-without-needing-to-satellite-in 26k at 10pm ET, the 30k only has a few hundred runners, much like that nightly 40k you mentioned. But yeah I'm not a fan of the 11pm start time either, don't get me wrong. And the buyin to the 40k is just too much for me to pony up almost ever on its own $150 plus the rake). Too rich for my blood, even if I could technically afford it from my online roll.

So yeah, that's why I keep coming back to the 30k. I can satellite in between 8 and 8:45pm ET every single night of the year, in most cases fairly regularly, and plus it's 6-max which I think would really suit your somewhat aggro style well.

Otherwise, the only other thing I might mention if you're interested in satellites to the larger events (my mantra in 2007) is the Winners' Choice tournaments on full tilt. These run at 9pm ET on Tuesday and Saturday nights, and for the few nights immediately before every Tuesday and Saturday, at 10:30pm ET is an mtt sat on full tilt (in green font) that basically awards a seat to the next upcoming WC tournament for every 10 or so players in the mtt sat. The WC itself awards a 12k prize package to the WSOP or WPT event of the winner's choice, one for every 60 players in the actual tournament. So that is another option, in that the 10:30pm ET sats into the WC tournament don't take anywhere near the 6 hours of the larger mtts (they usually pay maybe 5 WC seats out of around 50 players -- probably lasts no more than 3 hours total).

Best of luck. I'm in these sats almost every night of the week if you want any other information.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger PokahDave said...

Sorry to hear about the cat. Great play of late in the blonkey events. by you........damn.....I just got knocked out in the Riverchasers tourney.....

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

i usually try to get into the 40k via the $24+2 turbo at 5:45pm EST. i've got in at least 4x thru that. GL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home