Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Does This Check Call Make Me Look Fat?

As I often say, time is money and I have neither, so this post will be hella short. I'm bust-ass busy trying to get caught up from business travel last week and up-coming business travel next week. All this makes TripJax and TripJax.com a boring boy and blog. Well, make that more boring than usual.

I missed the Mookie last night, which is always a bummer for me. It is my favorite online tourney, so whenever I'm not there a small part of me dies. It's the degenerate donkey gambler part of me though, so it's all good. In lieu of sloshing chips with my fellow blogren, I got caught up on DVR'd TV shows with ChickJax. We were 4 weeks behind on Lost and 24, but we've managed to almost get back on track. Man I loves me some DVR.



Moving on...I forgot to post a very short chat exchange I had last week while playing on the virtual felt.

Me: Does this check call make me look fat?
Opponent: No, just stupid.

I thought it was funny, so I figured I would share. I lost the hand.



I'm pondering playing a series of SNG's where I change up my play for each SNG, just to see how the change effects my play and the others at the table. For instance, I want to play a SNG where I am not allowed to use the call button AT ALL. My options for the entire game would be to check, fold or raise only. Maybe I should also eliminate the check option as well. Basically only bet (whether being the initial bettor or raising/reraising) or fold.

I also want to play a game where whenever I bet or raise the pot, I do so with an extreme overbet. Not necessarily an all-in bet, just a nice big hefty raise. For instance, instead of raising 3x the blinds, always raising 10x the blinds. Or when someone does a continuation bet, just overbetting huge. Of course, a good portion of this experiment will depend on my stack size relative to the other players stacks as well as the blinds.

Another I want to try is playing an entire SNG with my cards covered. I'm pretty sure other bloggers have done this one before, but I haven't tried it yet. I think it would be very interesting.

If you have any other ideas that might make for an interesting experiment, please comment.



This guy doesn't post often, but when he does I always get a kick out of his writing. In lieu of reading my drivel any longer, go check out his latest post.




*Addendeum*

I forgot to mention Kat's tourney on Friday, which I will hopefully be able to play...



Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 1:01 PM,

6 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a sit&go I watched a friend play where he only Min-bet, min-raised or folded. I was surprised how many people would call down to the river and then instantly fold to a min-bet. Other times they'd try thowing in a raise, then he'd min-reraise, and they'd instantly fold. The whole table went on tilt and he ended up winning.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Another variation I've seen done is where your only option is to push or fold. I believe some lady bloggers out there had a private tourney where that was the only options you were allowed.

I've never tried doing what you suggested but may try getting rid of the call button. Keep the check button as long as you intend to check raise.

What about a situation where you raise pre-flop only to get re-raised. Still want to throw away the call button or do you still re-raise?

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Chipper...I'd say in that situation you either fold or re-raise. I'm going to add the push or fold idea to the mix.

Dbirider...I'm going to add the min-bet/raise or fold idea to the mix.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think the check is a great weapon. I wouldn't want to play without it. So do one tourney where you can't check. But you can call. No checking though.


What about a tourney where you play only the top 10 percent hands, like me or Gary?


Or only play pairs?



OR here's a thought.



IF you're doing these gimmicks, you are obviously a little bored with poker. How about just taking a break?
Except fo Friday. Friday sounds fun.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Don't think that I'm not a Cubs fan, Monsieur Jax.

I did name my son Wrigley, after all.

After the field...not the gum.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Boneyardxxx said...

I've considered using a randomizer of some sort (dice) and based on the roll , raise , call or fold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home