Check It: CineJax | ScriptJax |

 



Top 25

I'm pretty far behind on my meme's, but hopefully I can knock a few out here in the near future. I definitely want to do the 20 Tracks meme by Boy Genius when I get a chance, but that one will take a little more time than I have at the moment. In the meantime, I'll just answer a question that Kaja asked recently in one of his recent posts. Specifically, he asked, "What music do you listen to (if you do) when playing poker online or live and why?

To be extremely vague, I listen to almost anything. I tend to lean towards Alternative just because that keeps me pumped up the most, but in a pinch I'll listen to almost anything.

To be more specific, let me just show you my current Top 25 below. I really only listen to iTunes when playing poker, so this is a good idea of what has been of interest to me lately. I listen to a lot more random stuff when listening to my iPod in the car or on the go, but for some reason, when I sit down to play poker, I just tend to bring up My Favorites or My Top 25 playlists and start listening.

So here is my Top 25 of late, in no particular order...



So there you have it. That's what I'm listening to these days, but the list tends to change every few months as I grow in and out of certain bands and songs. I tend to play a song or album I really like into the ground, toss it in the pile, then whip it back out ages later. It is awesome to truly love an album, not listen to it in what feels like forever, then take it all-in again at some point down the road.

Before I go, allow me to leave you with some links to bands from my above picture as well as one of the best album covers of all time.

The Mars Volta - Intertiatic E.S.P. Holy shit these guys pwn. They are great to listen to while playing online poker as you will just get lost in their albums. So much power packed in one band.

The Cooper Temple Clause - Blind Pilots Never seen that video until today...pretty weird ass ending. The band is no more and I just came upon this album this year, so I'm bummed I'll probably never see them live.

God Lives Underwater - From Your Mouth One of my favorite bands and videos of all time. Another great listen while playing online poker.

The Black Angels - Black Grease You really gotta get their latest album to truly soak this band in. Awesome stuff.

Muse - Super Massive Blackhole Actually these guys aren't in my Top 25, but are constantly in my rotation on the iPod. This is the new video and I'm really digging the new album. Another good song from the new album.

Interpol - Slow Hands Another band completely stuck in my rotation when listening to my iPod, but not in my Top 25 when listening to poker. They should be though. This is a kick ass band that I originally thought was British, but I'm pretty sure they are New Yorkers.

Ween - The Mollusk They didn't make this video, but I guarantee they like whoever took the time to make it specifically for this song. Ween is one of the strangest and ecclectic bands you will ever hear. When you get a new album from them, you truly never know what you are about to get. It's good stuff though.

Ween - Freedom of '76 This video is way back from 1993 on some random as talk show. I can't believe I just typed way back in 1993. That's the year I graduated high school. If you've never heard Ween before, go ahead and start with Chocolate & Cheese. It is a classic and is one of my top 5. Plus the album cover is nice (most definitely click through to embiggen).



Let me finish off this post by answering one last question...do I listen to music when playing poker live?

I don't listen to music when playing poker. I play poker when playing poker live!

On a side note, man my 80g iPod, which is only a few months old, suddenly seems lacking.

Not to start another friggin' meme, but what's your Top 25?

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

posted by TripJax @ 3:49 AM,

8 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

I'm with you on WEEN, i really dig it!

There's not a whole lot that is 'like' WEEN, maybe They Might Be Giants or Primus.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Wlokos said...

I love They Might Be Giants' debut album, but not too much of their other stuff that I've heard.

My top 25 wouldn't really have anything in common with yours, it seems. I love At The Drive-In, but not quite so much The Mars Volta. I'm not really sure why.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger lightning36 said...

Geez - talk about different tastes. I barely know anything on your list. Guess you aren't gonna be loading it with classic oldies, huh??

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

Poker-y tunes for me really run the spectrum. The one constant is a solid groove. Me being me, lots of old school metal definitely works. Crue, Metallica, Dokken, Iron Maiden, Anthrax. Nu metal like Disturbed, Linkin Park, POD, System of a Down. 90s alt-stuff like TMBG, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Bosstones, Bob Mould. Ska like Sprung Monkey, Buck O Nine, Fighting Gravity, Aquabats. Good gangsta rap (both old and new) like NWA, Snoop, Ice-T, DMX, TI, Ludacris. And finally acid-house-trance. Zero7, Kaskade, Paul Oakenfold, St. Germaine. In particular, Helixx has done some wicked mashups for Gracie, Maigrey, and EvaCanHang. For a while he had a page at MixDepot. Check 'em out.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I've been less interested in The Mars Volta with each passing album, but if you haven't year, go see them live. Mindblowing.

Haven't met anyone else into Cooper Temple Clause - Kick Up The Flames is a decent album - starts strong then fades towards the end. Good stuff though.

I might post something like this, although I haven't been playing through iTunes a lot lately, so that'll be interesting

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I refuse to do this only because people would die laughing.

I'm protecting blogger lives!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger BigPirate said...

We played a show with Athenaeum a looooong time ago in Columbia before any of those guys was 21. I think we made the club give us their beer allotment. Great band!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Both Ween vids very, very cool. That "Mollusk" one is inspired. And you gotta love Gener hitting the high note at the end of '76.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home